Master Bond launches flame-retardant two-part silicone potter
ERJ staff report (BC)
Hackensack, New Jersey – Master Bond is offering a thermally conductive two-part silicone system that meets the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) 94V-0 specification for flame retardancy. Mastersil 156 is formulated for potting, encapsulation and sealing applications.
Mastersil 156 is a "competent" electrical insulator, says the company, with a low viscosity that can cure in sections beyond 25-50mm thick. It is thermally conductive and is temperature rated to 105°C by UL in thicknesses up to 10mm and above [sic].
The two-component, addition-cured silicone system is claimed to bond well to a variety of substrates, including metals, composites, glass, ceramics and many rubbers and plastics.
It is available in standard packaging options ranging from half-pint to five-gallon container kits. The silicone has a six-month shelf life at room temperature when stored in original, unopened containers.
The company cites the following key benefits for Mastersil 156:
• 1:1 mix ratio by weight, with no outgassng while curing
• Complete cross linking without exposure to air
• Flexibility sufficient to withstand aggressive thermal cycling and resist vibration and shock
• High resistance to water, humidity, oils and other environmental elements
• Very low shrinkage upon cure due to 100 per cent solid phase with no solvents
• Good flow and electrical insulation properties.