ERJ staff report (TP)
ITMA ... Yokhama Rubber ... Vipal Rubber ... Sumitomo Rubber ... Cooper Tire
1. The Imported Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ITMA) added China’s Shengtai Group on board as its latest member. Established in 2002 and located in Xishui, Shandong, Shengtai produces a wide range of tire products and brands including the ‘Rapid’ brand. ITMA works closely with other tire industry associations, UK government departments and the European Union to monitor and respond to proposed regulations that are likely to impact or affect its members. Its next members' meeting is scheduled to take place on 24 September in Düsseldorf, Germany.
2. Yokohama Rubber announced that two of its tire brands, “BluEarth” and “Geolandar” have been selected as original equipment on the new Lexus NX – its first premium compact crossover SUV. The selected Yokohama tires are the “BluEarth E51” and the “Geolandar G91”. The company also revealed that Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class compact SUV (pictured above) will come factory-equipped with its "C.drive2" tires for overseas markets. The GLA-Class will come equipped with one of two versions – standard and one based on its runflat technology.
3. Vipal Rubber was named "Best in the Automotive Sector 2014 – Exporter Category" by AutoData Editora in Brazil. The decision was because it designated one of its factories in Nova Prata, Rio Grande do Sul, to manufacture only products for export.
Vipal also recently opened a third distribution centre (DC) in Los Angeles, California. It is planning to open another DC in the UK.
4. Sumitomo Rubber Industries announced it now sells its Azenis FK453 premium runflat tires in Europe. The new tires are made using its NEO-T01 next-generation manufacturing process. The runflats are available in two different sizes and feature open pricing. The company also said Falken brand tires were recently chosen as factory standard tires by Volkswagen and received "high ratings" in performance tests conducted by ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club e.V. – German Automobile Association).
5. Overland Journal, the publication for worldwide vehicle-supported expedition and adventure travel, awarded the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 light truck tire its "Editor’s Choice and Value Award". The tire went through a head-to-head test with seven of the most popular all-terrain tires, and through a comparison of 10 different evaluation exercises.