ERJ staff report (BC)
Columbia, Missouri - Firefighters contained a small fire in one of the cord dryers used in the belt-making process at the Gates Rubber Corporation plant in southeast Columbia on Monday afternoon (3 December).
The fire was contained to the machine and didn't damage any other structures, said James Weaver of the Columbia Fire Department.
Employees of the company attempted to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher but were unable to do so, Weaver said. That's when they called the Fire Department.
Weaver added that 60 to 70 people were evacuated from the building. No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $5,000.