ERJ staff report (DS)
Kuala Lumpur -- Production of natural rubber (NR) in May 2008 was 82,468 tonnes, down by 7.7 percent on the figure in May 2007. Compared with April 2008, however, the output represented an increase of 10.9 percent. The smallholding sector contributed 95.3% of total production while the estate sector, the remaining 4.7%. Total production in the first five months of 2008 amounted to 475,233 tonnes, a decrease of 3.3% when compared with the corresponding period in 2007.
Exports of Malaysian NR in May 2008 stood at 78,608 tonnes, an increase of 7.8 percent when compared with the same month of 2007, though they declined by 11.9% when compared with April 2008. Exports Standard Malaysian Rubber (S.M.R.) constituted 94.2% of total exports. Of the total S.M.R. exported, S.M.R. 20 accounted the highest, 43.8%.
In May 2008, imports of NR amounted to 34,997 tonnes, a decrease of 24.9 percent compared to that of the same month last year. Imports also recorded a decrease of 16.6 percent when compared with the previous month. The main type of rubber imported was latex concentrate which accounted for 67.4% of total imports in the reference month.
Domestic consumption of NR in May 2008 was 38,949 tonnes, up by 15.6 percent compared with a year ago, but a similar figure to April 2008.
In May 2008, the average monthly price of latex concentrate was 609.70 sen, an increase of 4.2% compared to April 2008 and 16.2% higher when compared with May 2007.
This is an external link and should open in a new window. If the window does not appear, please check your pop-up blocking software. ERJ is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Press release from Malaysian Statistics office