ERJ staff report (DS)
Jurong Island, Singapore -- Asahi Kasei has decided to add a second plant to make solution-SBR in Singapore, before its first plant there is even complete. The new 50,000 tonne/year plant will be located adjacent to an S-SBR plant of the same capacity which is currently under construction.
The first plant is due for start-up in May 2013; the new line will come on stream in January 2015.
Asahi Kasei said it currently has annual capacity for around 140 kt/year for solution polymerisation in the butadiene and styrene areas. This includes polybutadiene, styrene block co-polymers and solution-SBR. The new Singapore plants willl bring this to 240 kt. The comapny's Kawasaki Works has capacity for 105,000 tons/year while the Japan Elastomer joint venture has capacity for 35 kt/year. Asahi Kasei owns 75 percent of Japan Elastomer, while Showa Denko KK owns the remaining 25 percent.
This is an external link and should open in a new window. If the window does not appear, please check your pop-up blocking software. ERJ is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Press release from Asahi Kasei