Akron, Ohio --Goodyear is looking into the possible sale of the company's Engineered Products business because it's considered a non-core operation by the company.
Goodyear's Engineered Products division makes airsprings, Industrial hose, hydraulic products, conveyor belts, power transmission belts and vibration control goods.
The tyre maker "will consider the sale of the business to a buyer that will recognise the considerable value of the business and its associates while maintaining Goodyear's level of service to customers," Robert Keegan, Goodyear chairman and CEO, said in a prepared statement.
The tyre maker has engaged J.P. Morgan Securities Inc. and Goldman, Sachs & Co. as financial advisers on a possible sale.
"While Engineered Products is performing well, it is a non-core operation for Goodyear," Keegan said. "As we continue to build on the considerable progress we have made in recent years, we believe the best course of action is to focus all of our resources on the growth of our core consumer and commercial tire businesses."
Led by President Tim Toppen, the business has achieved year-over-year growth in both sales and earnings in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
Toppen said the decision to explore a sale of the business would not interfere with its focus on daily operations and meeting customer needs. "The cornerstone of our operating philosophy stays intact--we want to help our customers grow their businesses for the long term," he said.
Goodyear Engineered Products manufactures and markets engineered rubber products for industrial, military, consumer and transportation original equipment end-users. The product portfolio of the business includes hose, conveyor belts, power transmission products, moulded products and air springs. In 2004, the business had sales of about $1500 million and segment operating income of $113 million. It operates 30 facilities worldwide and has around 7000 associates.
The following table can be downloaded as an .XLS file
- Region Country Town Products
- Americas Brazil Sertaozinho Air springs
- Europe France Montlucon, France Air springs
- Americas Mexico San Luis Potosi Air springs
- Europe Slovenia Kranj Air springs
- Americas Brazil Sao Paulo Conveyor belts
- Americas Canada Bowmanville, Ont. Conveyor belts
- Americas Chile Santiago Conveyor belts
- Africa South Africa Uitenhage Conveyor belts
- Americas USA Spring Hope, NC Conveyor belts
- Americas USA Marysville, Ohio Conveyor belts
- Americas Brazil Osasco Hose products
- Americas Canada Collingwood, Ont. Hose products
- Americas Canada Granby, Quebec Hose products
- Americas Chile Santiago Hose products
- Asia China Qingdao Hose products
- Americas Mexico Delicias Hose products
- Americas Mexico San Luis Potosi Hose products
- Europe Slovenia Kranj Hose products
- Americas USA Mt. Pleasant, Iowa Hose products
- Americas USA Norfolk, Nebraska Hose products
- Americas USA Sun Prairie, Wisc. Hose products
- Americas USA Hannibal, Missouri Hose products
- Americas USA Lincoln, Nebraska Hose products
- Americas Venezuela Tinaquillo Hose products
- Americas USA St Marys, Ohio Tracks (military/rubber)
- Americas Canada Quebec City, Quebec Moulded rubber products
- Americas Mexico Chihuahua Moulded rubber products
- Americas USA St Marys, Ohio Moulded rubber products
- Americas Brazil Sao Paulo Power transmission belts
- Americas Canada Owen Sound, Ontario Power transmission belts
- Americas Chile Santiago Power transmission belts
- Americas Mexico Chihuahua Power transmission belts
- Europe Slovenia Kranj Power transmission belts
- Africa South Africa Uitenhage Power transmission belts
- Americas USA Lincoln, Nebraska Power transmission belts
- Americas Venezuela Tinaquillo Power transmission belts
- Americas USA Green, Ohio Technical centre
- Americas USA Lincoln, Nebraska Technical centre
- Americas USA Marysville, Ohio Technical centre
- Americas USA St Marys, Ohio Technical centre
From Rubber & Plastics News (A Crain publication)
Press release from Goodyear
Website of Goodyear Engineered Products